This recipe will kick your pink drink up a level using delicious orange wine.
Now, just saying the word frosé might give you the inclination to wash your mouth out with soap. Or perhaps conjure up memories of sickly sweet alcohol slushies from younger years. Banish those thoughts however, as THIS recipe, albeit simple, accentuates the delicious savoury qualities of orange wine and transforms the humble vino into something quite adult.
This frosé uses Alpha Box & Dice’s (bloody delicious) Golden Mullet Fury, and quite simply tastes like frozen apricot gold. The aromatic notes of the wine are enhanced by the burnt orange zest and sprinkling of salt flakes. This grown-up slushy is totally quaffable and loves to be drunk poolside on hot summer nights.
If you can’t get your hands on an orange wine, or prefer a sweeter option, try garnishing with strawberry or watermelon. You can also blend the fruit into your rosé mix before freezing for a sweet fruity rosé hit.
– 1 bottle of rosé or orange wine – preferably a dry, I used AB&D Golden Mullet Fury
– 1/2 cup of caster sugar
– 1 orange
– Pinch of sea salt flakes
– Rose petals to garnish (optional)
1. In a large jug, mix the rosé or orange wine and sugar together, stirring well until dissolved. Pour the mixture into trays or plastic containers and freeze for at least 6 hours, or ideally overnight.
2. Using a veggie peeler prepare your orange zest. Peel long strips and set aside.
3. You’ll find that the wine won’t set hard due to the alcohol, which leaves it at a convenient perfect slushy consistency. If you’re adding other flavourings like fruit or juices your mix might set, in this case give it a whirl in a blender.
4. Pour your frosé into glasses of your choice. Garnish with rose petals and orange zest. Give the zest a good squeeze and wipe the rim of the glass before placing it on top of your frosé. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Enjoy!