As Napoleon Perdis once said,”not to prime is a crime!”
Spending $50+ on a primer seems pretty pointless, right? You can’t even see it, you’re probably thinking that money could be spent on a new lipstick or eyeshadow. While primer won’t make your eyelids shimmer or make your lips rival Kylie Jenner’s, it is still a crucial part of any makeup kit.
Priming has so many benefits including:
– Softening your skin for a supermodel glow
– Sealing pores from makeup particles, dirt and debris that could otherwise irritate your skin.
– Smoothing your makeup for an airbrushed finish every time.
– Increasing the longevity of your foundation to keep your makeup looking flawless all day.
Now that you know why you should prime, you should probably learn how to prime. Priming involves much more than lathering your favourite primer all over your face. If you want that supermodel finish, you need to start with a great base.
1. Cleanse – You can’t have perfect makeup today if your pores are still clogged with yesterday’s foundation. Cleanse your face with a gentle cleanser like the First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser ($18 from Sephora). For a deeper cleanse, pair your favourite cleanser with a the Clarisonic Mia ($199 from Myer)
2. Exfoliate – Exfoliate your face 2-3 times per week using an exfoliant such as the LUSH Cosmetics Ocean Salt Scrub ($22.95 from Lush Cosmetics) to remove dead skin cells and impurities.
3. Moisturise – Replenish your freshly cleansed skin with a moisturiser like Clinique’s Even Better Skin Tone Correcting Moisturiser ($90 from Myer).
4. Prime – Apply your favourite primer all over your face, paying close attention to your T-zone (especially with pore-minimising primers).
CLIQUE’s Top Picks – Primers
Benefit the POREfessional – $53 from Myer in the Myer Centre Adelaide
Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer – $58 from Mecca Cosmetica
Make Up For Ever STEP 1 Skin EQUALIZER – Redness Correcting Primer – $58 from Media Makeup Store
BECCA Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector – $55 from Sephora
Now that you’re an expert at priming, send us your supermodel makeup looks on Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #jointheclique.