Pucker up girls, sultry, vampy lips are not just for the cast of the Vampire Diaries anymore. Made famous by celebs like Kylie Jenner, this trend is a perfect addition to your winter makeup routine. Vampy lips have been spotted across runways and red carpets around the world, and for good reason. Here at CLIQUE Mag, we’re absolutely loving this trend and have the expert tips and tricks to help you rock sultry lips in no time.
The key to this look is choosing the right shade. With a plethora of colours from deep berry to romantic bordeaux shades, picking a colour that compliments your complexion is crucial for mastering this trend.
Crash Course — The Vampy Lip
1. Start with a great base. Apply a lip primer to your pout to keep hydrated and prevent the colour from smudging or bleeding. We’re loving the Too Faced Lip Insurance Lip Primer ($29 from Mecca).
2. Line your pout using a pigmented lip liner, like the Make Up For Ever Aqua Lip ($29 from Media Makeup) to prevent your lipstick from smudging or bleeding. Slightly overdrawing your lips makes them appear fuller while creating the crisp line that makes this look so lust-worthy.
3. Using the same lip liner, fill in your entire lip to create a sultry-shaded base for your lipstick. This gives you added insurance for your pout incase your lipstick starts to fade throughout the day.
4. Now it’s time to add some lipstick to the look. Here at CLIQUE Mag we’re loving dark matte lips, which means we rock this look with a liquid lipstick. One of our favourite formulas is the Gerard Cosmetics Hydra Matte Liquid Lipstick ($16.80 from Beauty Bay). Apply your liquid lipstick to your pout and give it a few seconds to dry before talking or eating/drinking to allow the colour to fully set.
5. The show-stopping part of the vampy lip trend is the contrast between your skin and the dark lip colour, which means you want an ultra-crisp lip line. You can achieve this by cleaning up with a q-tip, then using a concealer brush to sharpen the edge of your liner.
And voila! You’ve completed the CLIQUE Mag crash course in vampy lips. Be sure to share your sultry-lipped selfie with us on Instagram or Twitter by tagging us @cliquemagau and hashtagging #jointheclique.