We chat to Westfield stylist and ultimate babe, Lauren Dilena, to share her tips on what to wear to Derby Day.
Race wear is definitely its own category of fashion. What do you like about it?
Race season is all about pushing the fashion boundaries. As a stylist I absolutely love seeing polished women and men dressing up in their beautifully pulled together polished outfits. Especially adore watching women of all ages showcasing local South Australian designers.
How do you go about Autumn Racing Fashion as opposed to the Spring Racing?
It’s all about embracing the season events that you attend. At the spring races you can keep it simple and wear all neutral or white on white to achieve that classic look, or if you prefer to be a little more adventurous introduce bold bright colours, if not why not dabble in floral feminine tones instead.
However with autumn racing it’s more about styling with jewelled tones or wearing monochrome depending on the event. Enjoy accessorising in felt millinery, gloves, stockings, wide brim hats and beautiful jewellery to compliment your attire.
If you want to stand out from the crowd be sleek and wear a statement jumpsuit or pant suit.
Derby Day is all about monochrome – what are some fashion tips for the black and white theme?
– Instead of strictly sticking to the classic monochrome LBD attire, why not opt for an all-white look. White on white is such a great way to make a statement.
– Have fun with gold or silver accessories to team back with your black and white attire – But don’t overdo it.
– Black shoes are always a better option. White gets extremely dirty, and you’ll be forever baby wiping your heels.
– If you wear stilettos, make sure you invest in clear heel stoppers. There a great little invention, but make sure you take them off before you leave the racing venue.
– Derby Day is a classic racing event. So keep it classy and feminine.
Big fascinators aren’t for everyone… What are some good ways to incorporate millinery into your outfits?
I think the era of the fascinator is over. So why not get creative, this is the best event to have fun with. Wide brim felt hats, head pieces, hair accessories or perhaps exploring with gold or silver glitter styled in your hair might be the best options for you.
But if you’re still not a fan of placing anything in your hair, you could stand out from the crowd with a bold hair style and statement earrings.
You can still be part of the Derby Day action this Saturday, May 14 at Morphettville. Tickets for the Clique Fashion Tent are just $70, and include a premium cocktail from the Electra House Bar, a complimentary beer, wine or spirit, a premium food voucher, the Clique Beauty Bar, a BNKR Fashion Show and more! Tickets are available at the door, more information here.