With endless amounts of skincare brands releasing products to cleanse and detox the face, betonite clay masks have become a hot favourite of beauty gurus and bloggers. However, the natural benefits of clay masks aren’t just limited to your face, they’ve been proven to have multiple purifying effects on hair.
For those unfamiliar with betonite clay, it draws toxins, impurities and residual products out of the hair. What this results in is smooth, shiny, heat protected hair and a reduction in hair loss. The clay also contains minerals such as calcium, potassium and sodium which are vital for speedy hair growth.
Plus, it even works as an anti-dandruff formula whilst protecting the hair from any scalp infections. So many benefits!
Here are a few of our favourite ones and a DIY recipe you can even make at home yourself.
Kerastase Specifique Masquargil Deep Clarifying Clay Mask (Scalp and Hair)
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay (100% Natural Calcium Bentonite Clay)
L’oreal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Pre-Wash Mask
Carol’s Daughter Rhassoul Clay Active Living Haircare Softening Hair Mask
DIY Clay Hair Mask
– 1 cup betonite clay powder (See Aztec Secret Healing Clay above)
– 1 cup warm water
– 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
– Mix all ingredients together until a thick paste is formed. If the mixture is too dry add more water, or too watery, add more clay powder. (Test the product on a small section of skin before applying to scalp.)
– Apply the mixture to the scalp all the way down to the ends of your hair.
– Leave for 5-10 minutes and wash hair as per usual.
Any excess product can be stored away in a container for future use and the mask can be applied 2-3 times a week just like a regular face mask.